I must admit I’m a little unimpressed with the iPad. However, I’m probably not its target audience.
I can definitely see its advantage for people who are new to computers and the internet, as it simplifies things somewhat by stripping out much of the complexity of a fully-fledged laptop. But I’m not sure exactly how useful more tech-savvy people will really find it (other than to show off their new toy to their mates).
I’ve been trying to come up with list of pros and cons:
- Pro: It’s really pretty
- Pro: It makes computers simple (well, it’s just a big iPod touch)
- Pro: You can use it to read iBooks
- Pro: My laptop is Apple, so it should sync
- Pro: Did I mention it looks good?
- Con: You can’t multi-task
- Con: That shiny screen means you can’t use it in bright light (like outside with cup of coffee in-hand)
- Con: That shiny screen breaks easily
- Con: You can only buy iBooks from the iTunes store
- Con: It doesn’t work ‘out of the box’ – which Apple is so famous for. Need to connect to iTunes first
- Con: There is no webcam built in for Skype etc.
- Con: There’s no Flash support (and probably never will be). Not so great when you’re surfing the web really.
So the cons win so far. No iPad for me… unless someone gives me a really convincing argument. Right now I’m more intrigued by Microsoft’s Courier…